You Don't Need a Home to Vote!
2010 Voter Rights/Registration Packet
Get out the Vote: on Election Day
Getting People to the Polling Sites:
- Have a shelter designated as a polling place! This is a very effective way of getting out the vote.
- Have volunteers on call to walk or drive clients or shelter residents to the polling places.
- Arrange for a church or school bus to shuttle people to the election site throughout the day.
- Encourage taxi companies and other forms of public transportation to provide free rides to the polling places.
- Hold a rally, complete with food and music, and then march to the polling place(s) together.
Facilitate Voter Comfort at the Polling Site:
- Invite local elections officials to bring voting machines to your organization to familiarize people with the process of voting. Alternatively, have a mock voting booth at your agency beforehand with sample ballots so people feel more comfortable when voting.
- Staff the election site with poll watchers who will assist homeless persons if they encounter any voting problems with local election officials. Where possible, recruit poll watchers who are already known within the homeless community.
- Match volunteers with registered voters a week before the election. The volunteer will contact the registered voter a week before the election to talk about Election Day, the polling site, and ask if any assistance is needed to get to the polls. The volunteer can then call or visit the registered voter the day before the election to remind him or her. On Election Day the volunteer can accompany the registered voter to the polling site.
Download full report as pdf | Acknowledgements | Introduction | Overcoming Agency Resistance | Frequently Asked Questions by Organizations about Conducting Voter Registration | Incorporating Voter Registration into the Intake Process | Conducting a Successful Voter Registration Drive | Overcoming Resistance by Individuals | Frequently Asked Questions by Individuals | Conducting a Voter Registration Party | Registering Tenants to Vote | Having Candidates Volunteer at Your Agency | Holding a Candidate Forum on Housing and Homelessness | Media Tips for Hosting Events | Letter Writing Power Hour | Leading Up to Election Day | On Election Day | Voting & Registration Information Flyer | Legal Issues and Practical Barriers to Voting for Homeless People | State-by-State Chart of Homeless People’s Voting Rights | State-by-State Chart of Disenfranchisement Categories | State-by-State Chart of ID Requirements | State-by-State Chart of Registration Deadlines & Residency Requirements | Court Decisions on Homeless People’s Voting Rights | Sample Phone Script | Sample Invitation Letter | Sample Media Advisory | Sample Press Release